Friday, March 18, 2011
Saturday, January 1, 2011
Happy new year to everyone!
It has been just over 2 years for my freelancing career. Even though it’s a rough ride you’ll be amazed to see how addictive the freedom can be.
It seems like a bold move in Sri Lanka where society measures a person with his/her permanent job and office kit.
I was so pissed off working under people/companies. In any place one or more of the following is guaranteed.
- Your freedom is owned by the company
- Dumb office politics
- Chubby, heartless boss or manger
- Working long hours and on holidays with no extra pay
- Crappy office rules and a HR
- Promotions are made for favors not talent.
- Brainless/zombie daily routines
- Under value your importance by threatening that there are many people to take your place
- Only way to succeed is to betray your self-respect.
Hey, but who am I to judge. They own the f...ing business and I’m just an employee. The only way out was to start my own thing. So I did and never looked back.
The freelance road is rough and filled with obstacles. It’s the price you have to pay if you value freedom the most.
- Finding projects are not easy (sometimes you don’t get work for weeks) this is mostly true when you just started freelancing.
- You have to fill in multiple roles (boss, accountant, sectary, HR, marketing, developer)
- Handling shitty clients face to face
- Sometimes you work so hard on projects for long periods of time, you loose track of time and social life.
- You loose track of the beard, hehehe
Posted by Kusal Arthanayake at 12:41 PM